Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Election Day

Today is Wednesday, November 5th. I am at least 15.5 hours ahead of you, America. I will be watching, with the rest of the world, as the results come in from this historic election. (Most likely I will be in a local pub for the whole of the afternoon, drinking a pint with the bartender bribed to tune in to CNN.)

I never fully realized, until living on the other side of the world, exactly how important we are. As I've mentioned in these previous months, the people I've met here are well-versed in American politics, culture, current events, and history. I don't think it's just because I'm surrounded by educated people; the general interest of the nation is palpable. There was an excellent post that summed it up very well on Daily Kos today, which I highly recommend reading if you want to know how they feel.

Americans have influence they know not of. Sure, we say we "know", but truly you don't until you witness it firsthand. People have come up to me and asked me if I've voted. People who, with trepidation, ask me if I voted for Obama, worried that I will say no. People who tell me they wish they could vote too, and that my vote is also for them.

Our politics is no longer confined to ourselves or our shores. We have come to a time when our vote counts for more than just us, but for Aussies and Brits, Indians and Iraqis. They hope, as I do, that our country will finally be put on a new path, a better path, one that respects, aids, and collaborates with the world. One that can finally break loose of the confines of the isolated past, and move into a 21st century, global society. Our vote matters most to us alone and always will, but increasingly, and forever, it will matter to them.

Election Day, November, 1884

If I should need to name, O Western World, your powerfulest scene and
show,
'Twould not be you, Niagara--nor you, ye limitless prairies--nor
your huge rifts of canyons, Colorado,
Nor you, Yosemite--nor Yellowstone, with all its spasmic
geyser-loops ascending to the skies, appearing and disappearing,
Nor Oregon's white cones--nor Huron's belt of mighty lakes--nor
Mississippi's stream:
--This seething hemisphere's humanity, as now, I'd name--the still
small voice vibrating--America's choosing day,
(The heart of it not in the chosen--the act itself the main, the
quadriennial choosing,)
The stretch of North and South arous'd--sea-board and inland--
Texas to Maine--the Prairie States--Vermont, Virginia, California,
The final ballot-shower from East to West--the paradox and conflict,
The countless snow-flakes falling--(a swordless conflict,
Yet more than all Rome's wars of old, or modern Napoleon's:) the
peaceful choice of all,
Or good or ill humanity--welcoming the darker odds, the dross:
--Foams and ferments the wine? it serves to purify--while the heart
pants, life glows:
These stormy gusts and winds waft precious ships,
Swell'd Washington's, Jefferson's, Lincoln's sails.

- Walt Whitman


You are more powerful than you realize. Do it for yourself, do it for you family, do it for your country, and do it for the world. VOTE.

No comments: