Saturday, May 31, 2008

One Year (plus a few weeks)

Can you believe it? It's been over a year since I've started this experiment in vegetarianism. I haven't faltered at all, either. It has ceased to be something foreign and new to me, and has become so natural that the reasons for which I started this have no meaning anymore, really. People still ask why I've done it, and I respond "discipline, primarily, but there are also environmental factors", but in truth, they don't even matter anymore. I am a vegetarian because I don't eat meat. I love it, and it's become part of my identity. I may go back to eating meat eventually, but I don't see it happening in the near future. If I can live at home for a month and not be tempted (no mean feat, I tell you), then it doesn't even register as part of a normal diet for me anymore. This, coming from a girl who used to LOVE meat, and started this planning on it lasting only the summer! I'm pretty surprised it was as easy and natural as it was, and is. But, as it is so fun and easy for me, I'm pretty certain the only way I'll go back to eating meat is on a whim. I don't think anything else will make me. Go vegetarianism!

EDIT:

Zavo asked me two interesting questions I thought I'd share the answers to. First, I honestly don't remember the last meat meal I ate. I know it was a special one, because I consciously chose to become vegetarian, and decided to on a Monday. I had been thinking about making the change for a few months at this point, and thought it would be easiest to start after moving to my summer place, with classes over and most of the stressers in my life gone. I want to say it was lamb curry, but who knows!

And since I don't know when I'll want to start eating meat again, I don't know what my first meat meal will be. An educated guess might be chicken wings or a cheeseburger, because those are the things I miss most. Go figure, right?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

here's a question to ponder...well, two questions. for some reason i'm intrigued by them.

1 - what was the last meat dish you ate before renouncing it? was it something special or was it mundane? did you know it would be your last when you had it?

2 - when you go back to eating meat, what will be the first meat dish you eat?