Monday, May 29, 2006

Reading List (an ongoing project)

In the attempt to make myself productive (and to keep from being bored) I've compiled a reading list of books or topics I want to read and know more about in general. Here it is, in its initial form (and I'm sure will be altered and added to in the weeks and months to come):

- Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (completed, and very worth the reading)
- A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr.
- The Telling by Ursula K. Leguin
- Collapse by Jared Diamond (begun)
- The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov
- a Marie Antoinette biography (I'm intrigued by her life and the French Revolution)
- the collected works of Henrik Ibsen
- a play by Virginia Woolf (as yet to be determined)
- at least one Shakespeare play (I have his collected works, and have already read a few, so why not?)
- another Edward Albee play
- Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett
- finish the collected works of Ray Bradbury
- a novel by E.M. Forster (as yet to be determined)
- the rest of the readings I couldn't finish from last semester
- Cicero
- and, to reward myself, a rereading of my old favorite, Pride and Prejudice

I think that's a good start to my list. As you may have noticed (all those who care to read this blog) there are a lot of plays on the list. I have long felt that I have neglected dramatic works, and need to spend some time catching up. Plus, they are short (a couple of hours reading at most for some) and so I don't have to pour over them for a long time, and can read them over if I choose (and probably will for some, to make out more meaning).

Let's see if I can accomplish my goal.

No comments: